Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 194

Thread: Mid Bass Horn Design 80-800 Hz

  1. #151
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess I'd have to side with the smooth school. To me, any discontinuity creates a disturbance, whether it be an intake manifold, a section of ductwork, or a horn.

    As far as surface treatment goes, what you'll need will depend on what you need to fix. I suggested the mouth treatment only because it appears to be widely applicable. (Again, consider the Urei duplex horn as a commercial example). I expect you'll need it. Other than that, it's less a matter of prediction, rather, you'll just need to see what's needed by testing and tinkering.

    Remember that all losses, whether mechanically in the box/horn, cancellations, or lost to absorption, come from the available gain. Solid surfaces that support efficient wave propogation are the ideal, damp only where you must to fix a problem.

    It'll all become apparent when you start testing things. You've gone about as far as you can on (practical) simulations. Now you're behind enemy lines in uncharted territory, and the manual's no help. Time to shine. forums

  2. #152
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Not too much to report, but just before the thermometer dipped last night I managed to fill 95% of both walls on the other horn. In addition the other trim mounting pieces were attached to the first horn and now the hardest part is officially over for the first horn which is curing. You can get a good look in the second pic at what the side wall looks like with the mounting boards. I slipped a few screws to hold the walls in place:

    pic 1
    pic 2

  3. #153
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Gee, it's been a while hasn't it.
    Well, progress was slow what with the weather and the curing of glue, but managed to trim the excess from the sidewalls, glue an oak end cap and slip a few screws in for display. Except for some trim on the front of the wedges, the actual look can be appreciated. I stuck my head through the speaker holes and was talking to my wife...I now have the upper hand and can hear what a good horn can really do! Heck maybe I found a better use for these cabs than for a lousy stereo...the new Speakover Wife 200 Series.
    horn pic 1
    horn pic 2
    horn pic 3

  4. #154
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Steve
    You still have a wife ? She must be related to Job.
    Have you tried mounting the woofers and giving your new cabs a listen? Keep us up to date.
    Don

  5. #155
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by donaldpatten:
    Hi Steve
    You still have a wife ? She must be related to Job.
    Have you tried mounting the woofers and giving your new cabs a listen? Keep us up to date.
    Don
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What's funny is that as much as she was against all of this, my big carpentry days were before I met her. So, she is confused right now...not understanding how I'm able to pull this off. This may work against me when she realizes I can actually make a bird house or a magazine rack.

    I may be just a few weeks away from the maiden voyage...

  6. #156
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    I have purchased two new candidates for this system. To compare to the altec 511s with 808s I won these on c_rapbay:
    Edgarhorn tractrix horn
    I got lucky because they don't come up too often and I was able to find a buddy who wanted the rest of the edgarHorn system 100.

    the great thumbnail option doesn't work...

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ March 03, 2008 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Steve Mac ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 05, 2008 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Steve Mac ]</font>

  7. #157
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    What do you guys think will sound better?
    This?
    Layout with 511
    Or this?
    Layout with Edgar Horn
    I've been thinking again about the right power amp and I know you guys said to get an amp twice the rated speaker power(300wpc) but I came across this offering from Odyssey Audio called the Stratos and it seems pretty hi fi but pretty affordable(150wpc):
    Odyssey Audio products: the Stratos
    Opinions? They're built right here in Indy!

  8. #158
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Work continues on the rear chamber...
    Tee nuts installed

    Neoprene seal on rear chamber

    Rear chamber back

    Tomorrow I'll measure the backs for mounting screws...get some insulation for the inside...gotta drill a small hole to fish a speaker wire and...then...bam!...it can be fired up...this weekend. What a long project!

  9. #159
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve
    Do not forget to cover the "T"nuts so they cannot fall in.
    The Edgar horn , definitely the Edgar. It looks right with your work of art ,the bass bin , lovingly cradling it, in it's wings. And
    of course it will sound better.
    Don

  10. #160
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by donaldpatten:
    Steve
    Do not forget to cover the "T"nuts so they cannot fall in.
    The Edgar horn , definitely the Edgar. It looks right with your work of art ,the bass bin , lovingly cradling it, in it's wings. And
    of course it will sound better.
    Don
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Don. forums
    I have the edgarhorns and I'm listening to them now and they work...that's good...I just don't have an opinion until things get to the set up and measure point. Thing is...the sentimentality of completely altec done good is still something I need to do. We'll see.

    Anyway, IF I had the right size screws, I could have listened to the big guys tonight. Son of a gun. But I did put one speaker in just to fantasize. Yeah I know, need to get a life:


    A 515 in the hole...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.